Agriculture

Share
Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin

Dependent on soil

99% of what we consume, fruits, vegetables, and meats, need soil to grow, which makes us dependent on soil. Soil is one of the most valuable commodities for the survival of the human race. If we were to consider how much agricultural land is available to us to grow our foods, we quickly realize that we do not have much of it, and maintaining our soil health should be our priority.

Earth's surface

71% of the planet Earth is covered by water. Out of the remaining 29%, 3% is attributed to Glaciers, and 6% is Barren land, which leaves us with about 20% of habitable land. Once we have removed global urban areas and forests, that leaves 10% of the Earth’s surface for agriculture, of which 2% is for Cropland. That represents the size of the United States.

The green Revolution

The green revolution, which gained considerable momentum in the early ’50s, was a turning point in agriculture. It led to the mass introduction of chemical fertilizers and agri-chemicals. Although the short-term effects of this era saved millions out of famine and offered food security for many, the long-term effects of using these types of chemicals were never appropriately considered. The impact of these new harvesting techniques would have detrimental repercussions on soil health.

Essential

The overuse of inorganic fertilizer has made its mark. Agricultural lands have lost their once humus-rich topsoil making it harder to grow crops. Humus-rich topsoil is essential to thriving microbial activity and fertile soil. 

Sustainable life on earth requires a humus-rich topsoil.

shutterstock_473887150-scaled

Heavy fertilizing

Pre-’60s era, the topsoil was rich in humus with 7-12% organic matter. The cumulated years of heavy fertilizing has drastically changed that. Today, a grower is lucky if his topsoil is anywhere near 2% organic matter.

By 2050

With 9 billion people expected to be living on this planet by 2050, we must implement responsible and sustainable practices to cultivate the agriculture soil with the soil’s best interest in mind.

Humic Land

Take action and join our quest to making soil healthy again.
Contact us now, to find out how Humic Land can make a difference for you and your soil.
Humic Land

Information request

Rogitex

Demande d'information

This website uses cookies

We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners who may combine it with other information that you’ve provided to them or that they’ve collected from your use of their services